October 28, 2010
Path of an Artist
1. Decoding the substance of popular and praised art. "Oh, that's all
2. Emulation of the style because the public enjoys most of all consuming
more of what it is already consuming.
3. Reduction to triviality - "This is well supported, but junk. What are
people with brains and souls doing?"
4. Exploration for value, then finding a few greats to see what they
live, know, and articulate.
5. Consideration of the general and specific vision necessary for art,
of the conditions of creativity and development, of the firmness inherent
in good taste. Methods include thought, dreams, experiment, failure, and
6. Becoming - after grasping the work of masters and able to walk in
their footsteps, taking new steps perfectly suitable for one's spirit
Prev: And Your Heart's the Moon
I want to be with those who know secret things or else alone.
-Rainer Maria Rilke